Saturday, October 4, 2008

Pumpkin Waffles with Buttermilk Syrup

This is a recipe I've adopted as a family tradition.  I love to make these waffles for General Conference in the fall and for Thanksgiving break or even Thanksgiving Day.  I love the smell of these waffles as they cook and it's so fun when you're family comes to expect the pumpkin waffles.  

Waffles:
2 C Flour
2 T baking powder
1 T sugar
1/4 t. salt
1 T. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. coriander

To dry ingredients add:
4 egg yolks (save the whites)
1 C pumpkin
1 T vanilla
1 1/2 C milk
3/4 cube melted butter
Stir all together.  Then whip egg whites, and fold into batter.  

Buttermilk Syrup: 
1 cube butter
1 C buttermilk
2 T light corn syrup
2 C sugar
Mix these ingredients in a LARGE saucepan.  Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
Then Add:
2 t. vanilla 
2 t. baking soda
Stir briskly.  It will foam up a lot!  
Enjoy!

I would double the waffle batch.  They freeze really well.  I already doubled the syrup.  

4 comments:

Em said...

ooh. i've got leftover buttermilk from the last recipe, i think its going into this syrup. excellent!

Molly Thorne said...

So I made this last night and I thought I was having dessert for dinner after I had put that syrup on top. We are not big pumpkin fans but my kids all ate 2 waffles and Ethan 3. Humo!

Molly Thorne said...

I meant to say yumo

Jen said...

I agree with Molly this is like eating dessert for dinner. My kiddos request these all the time , especially Anna.